Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Giving it Up

So I've really been struggling with the idea of total surrender to God.  If you would've asked me a few months ago if every area of my life was completely surrendered, I would've said yes.  Ask me today and its a different story.  It's easy to surrender to God the things in my life with little importance.  Why is it so hard to let God have control of the things that mean the most to me?!  This is a question that has perplexed people of faith since the beginning.  No matter how many times I pray and tell God he can have control, I still want to do it my way resulting in a lot of worry and heartache over situations I can't control.  Do I really think I'm better at controlling situations than God?....apparently that's the case.  I realize being a Christian that I am free from the burden of sin, not from conviction, but the burden.  But what about the burdens of life?  The life decisions such as finances and relationships...should I not give those to God as well?  And if I try so hard to let him have control, why am I still burdened when things don't go my way? From the moment I put my trust in Jesus, the burden of sin left me, but when it comes to life’s burdens, God may or may not take them away. If He doesn’t, I have to remember that God will give me the grace I need to stand strong in His love.  One thing I have noticed, is that the burdens come when I shift my focus from serving and worshiping God, to looking out for my own needs.  To combat this means to completely sequester my pride.  As pastor Dennis said last week our life must be structured in this order: 1)God  2)others  3)ourselves.  God give me the strength and faith of Abraham.

Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

1 comment:

  1. Great post, C. Saying is one thing...acting on complete belief is a whole different ballgame.

    ReplyDelete