Thursday, June 21, 2012

Paul's Harsh Command

If we followed this, how many people would we have left in the Church? How many times would somebody get called "self-righteous" in the process?

"I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked person from among you." (1 Corinthians 5:9-13 NIV)

Paul never intended himself or the church to be judges of unbelievers outside the church, but to judge those inside. Those on the outside are for God to judge and for believers to evangelize. Those who sin on the inside, the church is to put out. He expected them to disassociate with all who said they were brothers, but had a consistent pattern of sin. Don't even eat with them or accept them. (MacArthur commentary)

This makes me think about the verses, let him who has no sin cast the first stone. But, I think the real purpose of this is to reprimand a believer in the hopes that they will change their ways, not to condemn them. Discipline is loving the hardest way possible. You risk ridicule, retaliation, and isolation. If they continue to deliberately sin, you'd have to wonder if they were ever a true believer or just a fraud. I know if this had happened when I was living a determined sinful life, I would've straightened up a lot faster!

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV)

This also is clear on the fact that we are not to judge those who are not slaves of Christ. They are not bound by the covenant nor do they possess the power of the Holy Spirit to discern what is right. We are to share Christ with them continually but never condemn them; only speak against the sin itself.

"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1

By this we know that any correction needed must be done 100% in love with no self interest in mind. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, but it's not a get out of jail free card nor an excuse for non-Christlike behavior.

I know there are more scriptures on these topics, and a book that could be written, but I'm just trying to picture a church that casts out the wicked brother? It sure would take care of the Christians who claim Christ with their lips and worship the world with their actions; the few who give the majority a bad name. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment